Although it's spring I still love to make soup for lunches. I look for lighter recipes using a lot of vegetables and fresh flavors, like lemon and cilantro.
This soup that I came across in Cooking Light sounded like the perfect spring soup, and it was. It was filling for lunch and was healthy, too, so I felt good about it. I loved the lemon with chic peas and spinach - a new perfect flavor combination for me!
I made only a few changes to the original recipe, including using less orzo so it wouldn't be packed with pasta. Enjoy!
Lemony Spinach and Chic Pea Soup
Source: Adapted from Cooking Light
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 c uncooked orzo
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon rind
- 1 15oz can chic peas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 6 oz fresh baby spinach
- Optional: 1/3 c Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large saucepan over high heat.
- Add olive oil to pan; swirl to coat.
- Add garlic and onions; sauté 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken broth and 2 cups water; bring to a boil.
- Add orzo, lemon rind, and chickpeas. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until orzo is done.
- Stir in oregano and next 4 ingredients (through spinach).
- Ladle 1 3/4 cups soup into each of 4 bowls; top each serving with about 4 teaspoons cheese.