A few years ago I went to brunch at a friend's house, and amongst all of the other delicious things she served was a French Toast Casserole that I just could not get enough of! Since that time I had always wanted to make it, and finally got around to it for Christmas last year.
In addition to being delicious, I love that this breakfast or brunch dish can be prepared the night before, leaving you free to do other things in the morning while it bakes. It makes a ton - I made the recipe as directed for just 4 people when it probably would have served 10!
So if you are looking for a weekend breakfast dish, or the perfect addition to your brunch menu, give this one a try!
French Toast Casserole
Source: Campbell's Kitchen
- 1 loaf of Pepperidge Farm® Cinnamon Swirl Bread, cut into cubes (about 8 cups)
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk (I used whole milk, and recommend using about 2.5 cups instead of 3)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar
- Maple syrup (optional)
- Place cubed bread in a large baking dish
- Beat eggs, milk, and vanilla extract in a bowl.
- Pour the mixture over the bread. Stir gently so everything is covered, and press the mixture down into the bread. Cover and refrigerate for an hour or overnight.
- When ready to cook, heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake, uncovered, for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Top with confectioners' sugar and serve with maple syrup.