I try to make a different soup every week, and this Cabbage Soup with Tomatoes and Basil has to be my most recent favorite. It's healthy, so that's always a plus, but it's also so flavorful and hearty, making it a nice, filling lunch.
I used my original Cabbage Soup as inspiration, and took it a bit further with these additions and changes. I used beef broth instead of chicken broth - it's so much richer in flavor - as well as some vegetable broth. I added tomatoes for flavor and color, and then I also decided to add fresh basil a fresh, herby flavor.
Cabbage Soup with Tomatoes and Basil
Source: Original Creation
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow or white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Carrots, diced (I used about 6 baby carrots)
- 1/2 head green cabbage, chopped
- Tomatoes, chopped (I used about 10 grape tomatoes)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 large basil leaves, cut into a chiffonade
- 2 c beef broth (or all vegetable broth for a vegetarian version)
- 2 c vegetable broth
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat
- Add onions, garlic,and carrots; saute 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cabbage; cooking, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the broth and bring to a simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings if necessary.
Print this post