- 1/2 c quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 c chicken broth (or vegetable broth for a vegetarian version)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 of a small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp shredded cheddar
- Optional: 1 tbsp lime juice (I meant to add this at the end but completely forgot. I didn't miss it so I'm not sure it's necessary)
- Sour cream for topping, if desired
- Heat half of the olive oil in a pot
- Add quinoa and stir for 1-2 minutes
- Add half of all of the spices, the chicken broth, and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to low, cover pot, and let simmer until the broth has absorbed (about 12-15 minutes)
- In the meantime, heat the rest of the oil in a small saute pan
- Add veggies and the rest of the spices. Saute for 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- When the quinoa is done, stir in the veggies and cheese.
- Serve topped with a touch of sour cream.
Say goodbye to Mexican rice - this is my new side for Mexican food! So much healthier, deeper flavors, and a nice change from rice. Now the real test...getting Jon to eat it!!
I had a lot of fun playing in my kitchen tonight, and it felt great coming up with two recipes that I'd love to share with all of you, and that I'll definitely make again.
Print this post