If you haven't tried roast bone-in chicken breasts yet, please try this! Using bone in chicken keeps it so tender and juicy. I like chicken, but I LOVE bone-in breasts. It is amazing how much different it tastes, and you don't even need to do that much to it.
For this dinner I coated the chicken in some garlic and Italian herbs, tossed every veggie in my fridge and pantry with oil, salt, pepper and herbs, and roasted it all together. No basting, no sauce, just simple roasting for an hour and we had this amazing dinner.
Besides the flavor and easy prep, bone-in breasts are way cheaper (about half the price per pound) and one breast will feed 2 people. I made 2 breasts - 3 of us had dinner, my daughter had lunch the next day, and I made 2 chicken salad sandwiches out of the rest! And those 2 chicken breasts cost me $5.
The veggies came out like candy! I'm serious - so sweet! The carrots were like candied carrots and that was just from their natural sugars coming out and intensifying during the long roasting. Even the mushrooms were caramelized and sweet. Imagine that!
The prep on this is just however long it takes you to chop the veggies. I'd say estimate 15-20 minutes of prep which can be done while you pre-heat your oven. Allow 1 hour for cooking, and 10 minutes for resting.
Garlic Herb Roast Chicken with Vegetables
Original recipe by Mary Ellen of Mary Ellen's Cooking Creations
- 2 bone in chicken breasts
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Veggies, chopped into large chunks (1-2 inches each)
- 1 large carrot
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 6 cloves garlic, whole
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1 sm zucchini
- 1 sm yellow squash
- 1 stalk celery
- Handful of white or brown mushrooms, halved
- Handful of cherry or grape tomatoes
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees
- Mix 1/4 c of the olive oil, 1 Tbsp of the Italian seasoning, and the 4 cloves of minced garlic. Season your chicken with salt and pepper (over and under the skin), and then rub the oil mixture all over it, being sure to rub it under the skin. Place the chicken skin side up in the center of a medium/large roasting pan
- Toss the veggies with the remaining oil and herbs, salt and pepper, and then add them to the pan surrounding the chicken in a single layer.
- Roast the chicken for 40 minutes to an hour, until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing and serving.