My mouth is watering just thinking about this dinner. Creamy melted Gruyere cheese coats juicy chicken in a rich broth with mushrooms and onions. And the best part? The prep is maybe 15 minutes and then it bakes in the oven.
Really - it's that simple. Brown your chicken and then saute the onions and mushrooms and make the wine sauce. Transfer it all to a baking dish and let the oven do the work. Top it all with some cheese for the last 10 minutes and it is done. You will want some pasta or bread to sop up all the sauce in the pan!
Chicken and Mushrooms with Gruyere
Adapted from: All Recipes
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 c flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried dill weed
- 2 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1/2 c white wine
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 4 oz Gruyere cheese, shredded
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of the butter and 1/2 Tbsp oil in a large saute pan
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and dried dill weed. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off any excess. Add it to the hot pan and cook 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a baking dish.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan. Add the mushrooms and onions, stirring, for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the wine and parsley and let simmer 3 minutes
- Pour the wine/mushroom/onion mixture over the chicken and place in the oven for 20 minutes
- Cover the chicken with the cheese return to the oven for another 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted, lightly browned and bubbly.