I can't believe I never shared this post! Somehow it got lost in my drafts and I just came across it this morning. It's definitely one worth sharing so let me get to it right away.
These aren't your ordinary blueberry muffins. Rolled oats and flax give them texture and heartiness that you don't get in your typical muffin, and the orange zest and juice add a bright flavor. These freeze well, too, making them the perfect muffin to grab for a breakfast on the go.
Whole Grain Blueberry Muffins
Adapted from: Real Simple
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 c old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 c flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 c plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 c packed light brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1/4 c orange juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F
- Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners
- In a food processor, process the flour, oats, flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda and salt until finely ground
- In a large bowl whisk together the yogurt, sugar, butter, orange zest, orange juice, egg and vanilla
- Add the flour mixture to the yogurt mixture and mix until just incorporated - do not overmix.
- Fold in the blueberries
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 22-25 minutes.
- Let cool 2 minutes before removing muffins from the tin to cool on a cooling rack.