I think my lemon kick was contagious because this cake recipe was chosen and baked by my husband. I couldn't help but laugh when he told me he was leaning towards a lemon cake for Easter.
I was also happy he chose a dessert that would fit perfectly in my new cake dish. I have been looking for a cake stand with a glass dome cover for a while and was lucky to stumble upon this one at Home Goods several weeks ago (and it was only $19.99!!). Isn't it pretty?
This simple lemon cake with a vanilla glaze made the perfect Easter dessert and would work well through spring and summer. After a fabulous Polish feast for dinner, this cake was the perfect sweet and bright note.
Lemon Bundt Cake
Source: Martha Stewart
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature, plus more for pan
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
- 2 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2.5 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Butter and flour a 12 cup Bundt pan
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, lemon zest, baking soda and salt; set aside
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar on medium high until light and fluffy; 4-5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the lemon juice.
- With mixer on low, alternately add flour mixture and sour cream, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix until just incorporated - do not overmix.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Firmly tap pan on a work surface to level batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 55-60 minutes. If the cakes begins to brown to quickly, tent loosely with aluminum foil.
- Let cake cool in the pan 30 minutes, then turn onto a rack to cool completely.
Vanilla Butter Glaze
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- 2.25 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1.5 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Whisk the melted butter, sugar, water and vanilla extract until smooth
- Let stand 3 minutes or until it starts to thicken
- Drizzle over the cake