My new favorite toppings on a burger are blue cheese and bacon, two ingredients that I love together. Whether on a burger, in a dip, dressing a salad, or combined with caramelized onions and baked on this appetizer tart, I can't get enough of bacon and blue cheese.
Cold blue cheese is good, but hot and bubbly blue cheese has such an amazing, rich, and strong flavor. I love it, and that love was my inspiration for this chicken dish, something I created as I cooked. It turned out exactly as I wanted, I only wish there was some way to get more stuffing in the chicken!
Bacon and Blue Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- 3 chicken breasts
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tbsp blue cheese
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Panko bread crumbs for the stuffing; approximately 3/4 c for the breading
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees; spray a glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Prepare chicken breasts by slitting a pocket in the side, being careful not to cut all the way through. Season lightly with salt and pepper
- Prepare the stuffing: mix the cooked and crumbled bacon, blue cheese, cream cheese, milk, garlic, and 2 tbsp breadcrumbs.
- Gently spoon the mixture into each chicken breast. Pinch pocket closed, or reinforce with a toothpick, if desired.
- Set out breading ingredients in three separate bowls - flour, then the beaten egg, then the Panko breadcrumbs.
- Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off any excess. Dip in egg. Dip in breadcrumbs to coat. Place in the baking dish.
- Bake for approximately 18 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees, turning on the broiler for the last 2 minutes of cooking.