Every 2 weeks or so Jon and I cook up a quick and easy meal - shrimp for him, tofu for me. Both ingredients cook so quickly that these meals can be made in 15 minutes, max.
Last week I made a tofu dish using the sauce from this vegetable lo mein recipe as my inspiration. The sauce was great - sweet and spicy.
- 1 block of firm or extra firm tofu, pressed to get the extra liquid out then chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp light olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 mushrooms (white or crimini), diced
- 1/4 c low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp mirin
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1-2 tsp chili garlic sauce (depending on how much heat you want)
- 1 c chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp broth
- Rice for serving
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan or wok over high heat
- Add the tofu and saute until browned, 4-5 minutes
- Add the garlic and mushrooms; saute 1-2 minutes
- Mix the soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, chili garlic sauce, and broth; add to the pan with half of the green onions and bring to a simmer.
- Add the cornstarch mixed with the broth and let simmer until thickened, just a few minutes.
- Serve over rice topped with the remaining green onions.