I was talking to my mom about soup last week and she mentioned that she was craving a good cream of broccoli soup. So when trying to decide what soup to make this past weekend, choosing broccoli soup was a no brainer. I made enough for both my mom and I to have it for lunch for 4 days.
I didn't use a recipe - just made this up as I went along. We both loved it! Creamy, cheesy, and the perfect lunch with a nice hunk of crusty bread or a small sandwich.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 heads broccoli, chopped
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 c light cream
- 3/4 c shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat butter and oil in a large soup pot.
- Add onion, garlic, celery, and carrot. Saute 4-5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, a few pinches of salt and pepper, and the broth; bring to a boil then let simmer for about 8-10 minutes, until broccoli is tender.
- Remove from the heat and puree using a handheld immersion blender (or transfer to a blender and puree in batches).
- Return to low heat and add the cream. Let heat through for a few minutes.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted through the soup.