Caprese Salad is one of my favorite things - there's nothing like a red, juicy tomato and some creamy, milky, fresh mozzarella. Top it off with some good olive oil, cracked black pepper, and the summery taste of basil and I'm in heaven.
On Memorial Day I had planned on making a BLT pasta salad, but it was so hot that I really couldn't picture eating something using bacon grease and mayo. As I was thinking about it, I happened to look at my basil plant outside and I knew I had to use it. So I came up with this simple Caprese Pasta Salad.
- 8 oz pasta - I used Rotini
- 4 oz mozzarella, cubed
- 1/4 c good olive oil
- 1/4 c balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp mayonnaise (to keep the oil and vinegar from separating)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 vine ripened tomatoes, chopped
- Fresh basil cut into a chiffonade; I used about 8 large basil leaves
- Cook pasta; drain, rinse, and set aside or chill
- Whisk together the oil, vinegar, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper
- Toss pasta, tomatoes, cheese, basil, and dressing. Adjust salt and pepper, if necessary.
Print this post