A few months ago I made Spicy Chicken with Asparagus and Chile, and loved it because of the combination of the asparagus and jalapenos in an Asian dish. I thought it would work really well with tofu, and it did. Below is my variation on this recipe using tofu.
- 1 block of extra firm tofu, pressed and then cut into small cubes
- 3 tbsp soy sauce, divided
- 1 tbsp Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 12 oz thin to medium Asparagus spears, cut on a diagonal to 1/2-3/4 inch pieces
- 1 jalapeno, minced (ribs and seeds included)
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 c chicken broth
- 1 tbsp hoisin
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp of the soy sauce, the rice wine, and cornstarch. Add the the tofu and toss to coat.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan or wok over high heat. Add the asparagus, jalapeno, and ginger and saute 2 minutes.
- Add tofu, saute about 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining soy sauce, hoisin, and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer, but for no longer than 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the green onions, or serve them on top.
Print this post