Tonight's dinner: Fettuccine Alfredo with some hot Italian sausage on the side for Jon
I make a lot of different cream sauces, but wanted something closer to an Alfredo. I browsed several copycat recipes for Olive Garden's Fettuccine Alfredo, including this one. Below is the recipe I came up with.
- 8 oz uncooked fettuccine or a thick linguine
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- A dash of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Boil water, cook pasta to al dente; drain
- In the meantime, heat butter and oil in a large pan. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and saute for 2-3 minutes being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, and cream. Whisk together until creamy.
- Add the parsley, nutmeg, and black pepper
- Add the pasta and toss until coated
- Serve immediately
I loved this dish! No, it wasn't healthy, but I only ate a small amount and also had some sauteed spinach on the side. I think adding garlic to the sauce gave it great flavor. I'd make it again and may try light cream cheese and light cream next time.