Last week I made vegetable beggar's purses and had a bunch of leftover phyllo dough. I had some extra time before dinner tonight so I tried out a new appetizer. I made this up as I went along and it was delicious!!! OK, not the healthiest, but still very good.
Here is what I did -
- Saute about 1 cup of spinach; add in 1/4 of a chopped shallot and 2 cloves of garlic; set aside to cool (I threw it in the fridge for a few minutes)
- Mix about 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella with 1-2 tbsb mayo; set aside
- Cook 3-4 slices bacon; crumble and set aside
- To prep the phyllo cups: spray a muffin tin (6 cup tin) with cooking spray. Cut 26 squares of phyllo dough, about 4 inch squares. Lay one square on a cutting board and brush with melted butter. Top with another square, brush with butter. Continue until you have 4 layers. Put the dough into the muffin tin making sure to press the dough all the way down. Some will stick up at the top. Continue until you have made all 6 cups.
- Put a spoonful of the spinach mixture into each tin. Top with a spoonful of the mozzarella/mayo mixture. Finally, top with some crumbled bacon.
- Bake on 350 for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
YUM! Print this post