Cheesy and creamy with bacon. Need I say more? You will want to make these ASAP!
With so many jalapenos from my dad's garden I knew I'd have to make a fun appetizer. It was a holiday weekend, after all, and holiday weekends are made for good eats. Who cares that we already indulged at a Polish festival on Saturday and a German festival on Sunday... it was still a holiday so the rules go out the window!
These are jalapeno poppers with a twist, inspired by my love of creamy, cheesy dips, bacon, and summer tomatoes.
To prepare them, wash your jalapenos, halve them -
And then using a small paring knife, carefully cut away the ribs and seeds.
Mix up your ingredients for the filling and spoon into the jalapenos.
Bake for about 10 minutes, top with more cheese and then turn on the broiler for a minute.
Top with more bacon, green onions and tomatoes for serving.
These exceeded all expectations that we had for them. We devoured them, even though the peppers were so, so spicy. After sending pics to my dad and cousin, I already have requests to make them again. I can't wait :)
Cheesy BLT Stuffed Jalapenos
Original Recipe by Mary Ellen of Mary Ellen's Cooking Creations
- 8 jalapenos, washed, halved, seeds removed
- 4 slices raw bacon, diced
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 Tbsp shredded cheddar cheese plus more for topping
- Pinch of salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Cook your diced bacon in a skillet until crispy. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Reserve the bacon grease.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, mayo, sour cream, cheddar, and 1 TBSP of the bacon grease.
- Stir in most of the green onions, tomatoes and bacon - reserving some for topping
- Generously spoon the mixture into the jalapenos
- Bake for 10 minutes; top with the remaining cheese and turn on the broiler for one minute.
- Transfer to a serving plate and top with the remaining green onions, tomatoes and bacon. Serve immediately.