Sweet summer corn - isn't it the best?
My favorite way to prepare it is grilled - charred, to be exact - and that is what inspired this salad.
Charred corn is packed with smoky flavors, so pairing it with something bright and zesty with a touch of heat works perfectly. I used cilantro and lime for the bright and zesty flavors, grilled red onion for some sweetness, crunchy red pepper for texture, spicy jalapenos for heat, and a dressing featuring chili and lime to pull it all together.
This Grilled Corn Salad can be eaten as a salad or you can really get creative with it. Picture it on fajitas or tacos - the perfect topping! Put it on top of grilled chicken or fish. Or just grab some chips and scoop it up like salsa!
I will definitely be making this one a few more times before the summer corn runs out.
Check out two of my other favorite summer corn recipes here -
Grilled Corn with a Chipotle Lime Butter
Mexican Grilled Corn Salad with with Citrus Aioli.
Grilled Corn Salad with a Chili-Lime Vinaigrette
Original Recipe by Mary Ellen of Mary Ellen's Cooking Creations
- 6 ears corn, cleaned (remove husks and all silk) and washed
- 1 red onion, sliced into rings (don't separate within the rings)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- Handful of cilantro, washed and chopped
- Olive oil, salt and pepper
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- Juice from 1/2 of a lime
- Zest from 1/2 of a lime
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Mix all of the dressing ingredients together and chill until ready to serve.
- Heat grill to medium high
- Brush/spray the corn and red onion with olive oil; season lightly with salt and pepper. Grill until charred in spots (to your liking), about 15 minutes.
- Stand the corn on end. Using a sharp knife, remove the kernels into a bowl.
- Chop the grilled red onion
- Add in the red pepper, jalapeno and cilantro
- Toss with the dressing and serve.