Looking for a healthy lunch that is quick and easy to prepare and will fill you up without any guilt? This quinoa with kale is it.
I sautéed some onions, garlic and tomatoes before adding the quinoa and broth. Near the end of cooking I added in some kale, my new favorite leafy green, and let it wilt.
Once it cooled I packed it immediately in to some lunch containers so I'd be ready to go. I warmed this up to eat it but it would also make a great salad when the temps are a bit warmer.
Quinoa with Kale
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 sm onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 c quinoa, rinsed
- 3 c chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 sm bunch kale, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste, if needed
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat
- Add onions and garlic, sauté 2 minutes
- Add tomatoes, sauté 1 minute
- Add quinoa and stir before adding broth. Bring to a simmer and then lower heat to medium. Let simmer about 10 minutes.
- Put the kale in the pan and let it wilt down for a minute or two. Once it starts to wilt, stir to mix it in to everything. Let the quinoa simmer until cooked through, about another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed