It's September but we still have great tomatoes and zucchini. My mom found this recipe, brought over the ingredients that my dad picked up from a local roadside stand, and I made the recipe. I love local summer tomatoes and then add cheese to them and bake until hot and bubbly? Heavenly.
Not only was this a great side for dinner, I heated it up the next morning and served it alongside scrambled eggs and loved it.
Italian Zucchini and Tomato Gratin
Adapted from: Gluten Free Mama
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 2-3 large tomatoes (I love Jersey tomatoes!!), cut into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 1 Tbsp Italian Herbs Seasoning blend
- 1/4 c good olive oil
- 3/4 c shredded cheese - Italian blend (Parmesan, asiago, mozzarella, etc)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Toss the tomatoes and zucchini (in separate bowls) with the oil, herbs, and a touch of salt and pepper
- Layer zucchini in a single layer in a large baking dish; I used a 9 inch Corning Ware casserole dish (you want a deep dish). Sprinkle with some cheese.
- Layer tomatoes over the zucchini in a single layer; sprinkle with some cheese.
- Repeat with a layer of zucchini, cheese, tomatoes, and the rest of the cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes until veggies are cooked through and the cheese is melted