Over the holidays I tried my hand at some holiday baking - I had some successes, one major failure, but all in all I had a good time! Now I'm not going to become a baker by any stretch, but I have gotten over my fear of baking, I guess you could say!
So when I was given the blog Cookies on Friday in the most recent Taste of Home Cooking Recipe Swap, I didn't have the same reaction that I did the first time I had this blog in a swap. I decided to do something with chocolate chips since I had a bag of chips left over from holiday baking, so that's how I narrowed down my choices (and wow, are there a lot of great choices in this blog!!).
I made cookies the first time I had this blog in the swap, so this time I decided to try muffins.
These Graham Cracker Chocolate Chip Muffins sounded really interesting, looked easy, and I actually had all of the ingredients on hand. Now don't let the word "muffin" fool you - they definitely aren't breakfast muffins (to me anyway). They were very sweet and ate more like a dessert... a dessert that I enjoyed a few days in a row! I took a bunch of them to work too and they disappeared with rave reviews.
Graham Cracker Chocolate Chip Muffins
Source: Cookies on Friday
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (this was about 3/4 of a sleeve; I used cinnamon graham crackers)
- 1 cup milk
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¾ cup milk chocolate chips
- ¼ cups flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup graham cracker crumbs
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper liners. This recipe made 18 muffins for me.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and graham cracker crumbs until blended.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, egg, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 full.
- Make the topping: in a medium bowl mix the flour, brown sugar, graham cracker crumbs, and cinnamon. Add the melted butter and mix well until crumbly and looks like wet sand. Divide the topping between the muffins.
- Bake for 16-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.