Mashed potatoes have to be one of my favorite foods. And with bacon and cheese? Yes please!
Over the weekend I made Lager Braised Beef Short Ribs. The author of the inspiration recipe served them with cheddar-bacon grits. I decided to use potatoes instead of grits.
I don't measure my ingredients when making mashed potatoes - you just have to go by look, feel, and taste. So here is a loose recipe for the potatoes.
- 2.5 lbs red potatoes
- Butter - approximately 2-3 tablespoons
- Whole milk - approximately 3/4 cup
- 2 handfuls of shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 pieces of cooked bacon, crumbled
- Next time I will also add a tablespoon or two of sour cream
- Put potatoes in a large pot of water; bring to a boil. Cook until fork tender, drain water and return pot of potatoes to burner over low heat.
- Add butter, salt, and most of the milk.
- Mix with a hand mixer until creamy and smooth, adding more of the above ingredients as needed.
- Add cheese and bacon near the end, and garnish with more of the bacon.
YUM!!! Even better, these potatoes turn into great potato pancakes for breakfast the next day!
Print this post