My dad makes a good tortellini soup. I decided to change it up a bit by combining my dad's recipe with my garlic soup recipe. It worked perfectly! I took this picture when it was still simmering in the pot:
Ingredients (4-6 servings)
- 1 head of garlic, cloves peeled and chopped (big pieces)
- 46 oz chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 Parmesan rind
- 2 14.5 oz cans of stewed tomatoes; reserve juice; chop tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1.5 cups frozen tortellini
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch each of salt and black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat; add garlic, lower heat, and cook for 15 minutes being careful not to burn the garlic
- Add the red pepper flakes, broth, water, juice from the tomatoes, and the Parmesan rind; bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the rind; add chopped tomatoes; simmer for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper if needed.
- Add tortellini; simmer for 3-4 minutes
- Add the fresh spinach, stir until wilted, and remove from the heat.
I'll have this soup for a few lunches this week. As the week goes on, the tortellini does start to soak up the broth. If this happens, you could definitely add a bit of broth and let it simmer on the stove for 10 minutes or so. Enjoy!