Jon's Famous Chili
Ingredients (for about 10-12 large servings)
- 4 pounds ground beef
- 2 chili kits (or you can use your own spices; the kit has chili powder, cayenne, paprika, salt, onion/garlic, cumin, and masa)
- Additional cumin, chili powder, salt, and cayenne
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 jalapenos, chopped (seeds as well)
- 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes; 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes; with juice
- 1 16 oz can of tomato sauce
- 3 cans beans; we used 2 cans of dark red and 1 can of light red
- Brown meat; add some of the garlic; drain fat. We did this in batches in a pan, and then put the meat into a pot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix together. We kept adjusting the spices until it was just right. Even when we use the chili kits, we always end up using more cumin, chili powder, salt, and sometimes cayenne.
- Let is simmer on the stove for an hour or two. The chili is best the next day! Warm sourdough bread goes perfectly. I also like to mix some sour cream and shredded cheddar into my bowl.
I heated some apple cider in a pot. Instead of spiking it, I let everyone add however much spiced rum they wanted. We garnished our mugs with a cinnamon stick.
Here are Danielle, Stacey, and Jenny finishing up their chili and cider -
I picked up a few bouquets of flowers at the market and made this cute fishbowl arrangements for our dining room. I had some gold "rocks" from Christmas last year that I added to the bottom of each vase. The center vase was a little fuller and taller than the other two. Aren't they pretty?
Print this post