- 1 c buttermilk
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 3-3.5 c flour
Filling Ingredients (these are 1.5 times the original recipe based on Cara's recommendation, and I probably used even more than the amounts below as I didn't measure this part, but went on how it looked)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk or cream (I used heavy cream)
- Optional: splash of vanilla (I added it and liked the flavor it gave)
- Measure the brown sugar, baking soda, salt, vanilla, and egg into a mixing bowl. Add the buttermilk, then the flour; stir until thoroughly combined into a dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a 12x24 inch rectangle and spread with the butter. Sprinkle with the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll the dough into a log beginning with the wide side. Stretch slightly. Cut into two-inch pieces and put these pieces into greased muffin tins or cupcake liners.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes and then remove from the muffin tins.
- Drizzle with icing; reheat in microwave for 10 seconds if needed.
While these muffins weren't the real thing - cinnamon buns - they definitely satisfied the craving!!
The next morning I reheated one for breakfast - just 10-15 seconds on reheat in the microwave was all it took. YUM!!