- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 c arborio rice
- 1/4 c dry white wine
- 5 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for a vegetarian version)
- 1 tbsp black truffle cream (or chopped black truffles)
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Optional: chopped parsley for some color
- Chopped/sliced black truffles for garnish
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large saute pan
- Add shallots and garlic; stir until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add arborio rice and stir until coated
- Add the white wine and stir until absorbed
- Add the chicken broth, one ladle at a time, stirring constantly. Add more broth only when all of the broth in the pan has been absorbed by the rice. This entire process takes anywhere from 17 to 25 minutes.
- About 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through, stir in the black truffle cream and parsley.
- When you add your final ladle of broth, add the cheese.
- Serve immediately topped with the chopped or sliced black truffles.
If you purchase a good black truffle oil, you should be able to get pretty good flavor in your dishes. But nothing compares to using the real thing (ok, maybe it would have been better if I had a huge hunk of truffle to shave on top of it, but you get my point).
Enjoy the long weekend! We are off to Vegas so I'll have some restaurant and wine reviews when we return.